Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 16 - 3/24/12 - Coming Home


We travel home…

Richard with all the bags

Sitting in the airport, we have come together for a last Moroccan tea and promise each other a reunion to share pictures in a few months.

Last breakfast together in airport

Becky, Raquel, Jennifer and Hilda

One more glass of Moroccan tea


Our drive here in the Grand Taxi was both wonderful and exhausting.   I hear from the others that their taxi was much more subdued, but Jennifer and I went with Khalid who was both English speaking and eager to talk about America.   He asked me about Mitt Romney and who I thought was going to win the primary elections.  I am not so sure jumping into my opinions of partisan American politics is a good idea, but he does seem to have a low opinion of Obama and what he has done to the American economy.   And I suppose American economics do have their repercussions every where else in the world.

Khalid has sent his wife and two daughters to New Hampshire in the past, and is eager to go himself, but is too busy working two jobs as a cab driver and at a call center.  He tells me that if I come back or any of my friends comes back – there is no problem he will arrange transport.  Even if we want to go to Marrakesh or to the desert.    He gives me his card.

We speak about the King – Mohammed VI.  Khalid says he is the first to ever present his wife to the public.   She is an engineer doing research in cancer treatment and is not even royalty, but a commoner like Princess Kate of England.   His father Hassan II and all those before kept their wives sequestered.   So the new king is quite a bit more progressive.   Khalid says he has really boosted the economy.   Mohammed VI has one son and one daughter.   The son is Hassan III and his son will be Mohammed VII.   The succession alternates and all are descended from Moulay Ismail, Moulay Idris and the prophet Mohammed.   The monarchy is completely tied to Islam and its development.  

Khalid wants his daughter who is now 10 years old to study English and go to college in the US.   We talk about movie stars and singers.   Mariah Carey will be in Rabat for the music festival in June.   Whitney Houston was there last year before she died and the Moroccan people love her.    Nancy, our host on Tuesday evening, had said she has seen Julio Iglesias, Sting, Elton John, Quincy Jones  and even met some of them.    Khalid says, “Brad Pitt now he really likes Marrakesh.   He owns a riad.   He go to disco.  He take a little liberty from son maree.”   I can only imagine.
To be Brad Pitt and own a riad in Marrakesh!

It is raining this morning, overcast like yesterday.   Khalid says, “This is good, good.  It is very dry this year and we are a country dependent on agriculture.  Last year there was much more rain at this time.”    Eventually we pay our 300dh and say good-bye, make our way through to customs where the Moroccans inspect all of the scarves and rugs and pottery I have brought back.  Thank goodness my spice bag is well hidden in my underwear.    Jennifer, Hilda and I all sit together on the flight back, which is nice because we have become fast friends over the last week.   Hilda works on finishing her last painting and I continue working on this blog – when I’m not sleeping.   Richard wanders around the airplane making friends.     We are all split up stateside when we hit customs.   The US customs lets me pass through too, but a man from West Africa travelling with two large bags of rice is not so lucky and those are confiscated.    We are lucky to even say good-bye at baggage check as all of our various rides and cabs are waiting.   I don’t even see Hilda, but Toshiko needs a ride to Manhattan and there are my husband and daughter so off we go into NY leaving Moroccan Travels behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment